Journal Entry # 39 - Road Entry#29 (Denver to Los Angeles Flight - 9:47pm - September 27, 2010)

I woke up at 8:15am Thursday morning in La Canada in order to get on the road downtown. It was my first personal trainer workout at a gym since high school when Dad had a personal trainer before his wedding in 2003.

Nii Adjin Orraca-Tetteh was my trainer at his professional and personally owned gym. He was recommended by Paul, my step-dad, and my mom. They were sure that Nii could give me professional advice regarding my workouts and improving my stamina, flexibility, endurance, strength, and performance in the weight-room and running on the road. I wanted to go because I felt like he could give me the correct information and knowledge on how to take care of my body while training for the marathon and loosing weight.

Nii Adjin Orraca-Tetteh is a big man. He stands roughly 6'3'' and carries 250-260 pounds of sure-muscle. I wasn't surprised because Paul said that he used to be a professional body-guard in the entertainment industry and also a bouncer at clubs in Los Angeles. This Ghanian beast stood over me as if I were a 12 year-old pee-wee football player looking up at Brian Urlacher or Julius Peppers. I was impressed of his stature, gym, and personality. Nii is a gentle giant and I

I got to Nii's brand new gym downtown in this newly modeled living center. It was in the warehouse district of downtown, somewhat east of the financial district. The space and buildings were all interconnected with a exposed brick motif, and renovated and gorgeous. Nii's gym was a brand new space with all the equipment required for a good workout, just not a ton of space like most Americans are used to in a gym. This is because Nii does all of his personal training exercises in his private gym without distractions and wait-time at open-membership gyms.

It was great to get an hour workout in with Nii. I was extremely tired and sore after the workout was through. He kicked my ass. But it was good. He showed me a lot of dynamic stretching exercises and ways to isolate muscles in weight training. I appreciate his knowledge and dedication to fitness and training.

After the workout I drove back to La Canada and immediately went looking for the clippers and scissors for a self-done haircut. I thought I was going to be able to save some money for a haircut at home, but I couldn't do it with these crappy clippers and scissors. I drove to a haircut place and go a buzz cut because it was a hot day and I was satisfied with my stretch of dealing with my longer hair. It was at least 5-6 inches long, the longest it's ever been in my life I think.

I came back to Mom's house to eat some brunch and watch an hour of TV before getting on the computer for some internet research and my online fantasy NFL draft. That went on for a while and then I got to writing the blog/journal for a while.

I don't have any notes on what happened after that. I forgot and I think there was a dinner with Paul and mom that night on the porch, but that is everything until Friday night dinner. I don't have any recollection or notes from the afternoon on Thursday, all the way until dinner time on Friday night.

I will write about Friday night and the weekend in Los Angeles next blog post.